A gut-friendly leek recipe that will enhance your health and wellbeing!
This creamy crumble from nutritional therapist Christine Bailey is simple to prepare, and is ideal as an everyday family meal. You can prepare it in advance making it a fuss-free evening option, or make it gluten free by using an artisan-style gluten free loaf.
Nutritional analysis per serving;
Calories: 462kcal – fat 18.4g, saturates 9.6g, carbohydrates 28.7g, sugar 5.3g, fibre 6.2g, protein 37.8g, salt 1.1g Serves 4 | Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 175g of brioche loaf
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 400g chicken breast cut into strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g leeks (about 3), finely sliced or shredded in a food processor
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100ml white wine
- 125ml half fat crème fraîche
- or Greek yogurt
- 100g grated cheese
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas 6.
- Place the brioche and parsley in a food processor and pulse to a coarse crumble texture.
- Place the cornflour on a plate and season with salt and pepper. and dust the chicken.
- Add the olive oil to a large sauté pan. Fry the chicken for 5 minutes on each side until lightly golden. Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Add the leeks,onion and garlic to the pan and cook gently for 5 minutes until the leeks are soft.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Pourin the white wine and crème fraîche and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking dish.
- Scatter the crumble over the leeks and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until bubbling.
Thanks to British Leeks for allowing us to reproduce this recipe/photos. The British Leek Growers’ Association farms to the highest standards, and all its members comply with the Red Tractor Farm Assurance Scheme. For more recipes and information, visit www.britishleeks.co.uk